Bom Bom the Cacti- An introduction




Hi, I am Cheryl from Singapore. I started to like cactus since I was in Primary School when I first brought a cactus- Echinopsis chanaecereus f. lueta during a school field trip because I just thought it looked like a Banana.

After that when I walked by a nursery beside a library which I go often, I brought more and more cactus and placed them outside my house. A grafted Parodia leninghausii was one of my collection. After buying it, I seperated the cactus from its graft and named it Bom Bom as it was so fat and round. I started to like it more and more.

Unfortunately, all of my collection was stolen one night and I was left with nothing. My fever for cactus died. However, it came back again when I was working for my school internship programme when I saw Bom Bom's imitation sitting on a windowstill and the cleaner aunty told me what this Parodia Leninghausii had went through.

I started to borrow books about cactus to learn more about it and saw the wonderful pictures. They were so beautiful and unique and I decided to start a collection of my own.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Sedum morganianum needs water!

Treating my Sedum morganianum like how I treat my other cacti caused it to shivel. After a week I brought it, I refused to water it as I thought it does not require a lot of water.

I was wronged! I notice it shivelled alot when I wanted to repot it. Oh my heart almost broke into two, I quickly soak it in a pot of water. It recovered a few days later.

I went to read up and realized that I have missed something. This species need abundent of water especially in the summer. Even if I did not watered for about 3 days, I notice that there are slight shivelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment