Bom Bom the Cacti- An introduction




Hi, I am Cheryl from Singapore. I started to like cactus since I was in Primary School when I first brought a cactus- Echinopsis chanaecereus f. lueta during a school field trip because I just thought it looked like a Banana.

After that when I walked by a nursery beside a library which I go often, I brought more and more cactus and placed them outside my house. A grafted Parodia leninghausii was one of my collection. After buying it, I seperated the cactus from its graft and named it Bom Bom as it was so fat and round. I started to like it more and more.

Unfortunately, all of my collection was stolen one night and I was left with nothing. My fever for cactus died. However, it came back again when I was working for my school internship programme when I saw Bom Bom's imitation sitting on a windowstill and the cleaner aunty told me what this Parodia Leninghausii had went through.

I started to borrow books about cactus to learn more about it and saw the wonderful pictures. They were so beautiful and unique and I decided to start a collection of my own.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Echinopsis Calochlora - Etiolation

This was given by my mom. She took one of the offset from her friend and gave it to me. I believe that this is Echinopsis calochlora. Also a very tough cactus, it do grow under neglect and without sunlight.

However, this is result of not taking good care of it. It suffer from serious etiolation (not enough light). The top of this cactus was chipped away when a strong wind cause it to toppled over. Looking at how it continue to strive, it feel so proud of it.

It is also very prolific in producing offsets. More offsets are growing out soon in this cactus. The top few also suffer from etiolation, but once I move them to a brighter location, those at the bottom which grow out later were more globular.

No comments:

Post a Comment