Bom Bom the Cacti- An introduction




Hi, I am Cheryl from Singapore. I started to like cactus since I was in Primary School when I first brought a cactus- Echinopsis chanaecereus f. lueta during a school field trip because I just thought it looked like a Banana.

After that when I walked by a nursery beside a library which I go often, I brought more and more cactus and placed them outside my house. A grafted Parodia leninghausii was one of my collection. After buying it, I seperated the cactus from its graft and named it Bom Bom as it was so fat and round. I started to like it more and more.

Unfortunately, all of my collection was stolen one night and I was left with nothing. My fever for cactus died. However, it came back again when I was working for my school internship programme when I saw Bom Bom's imitation sitting on a windowstill and the cleaner aunty told me what this Parodia Leninghausii had went through.

I started to borrow books about cactus to learn more about it and saw the wonderful pictures. They were so beautiful and unique and I decided to start a collection of my own.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Parodia Magnifica - Etiolation

It has been long since my last post. Recently, I have open a new cactus blog, but after much consideration I still prefer this blog. It was such a waste to let go this blog.

The picture show how has my Parodia magnifica which was brought on November become. It was heartbreaking to see this. I guess the sunlight over here is just not enough.

Poor light, especially in heat cause this plant to became like this (elogated stem). The pot size for this plant is also small, and after repotting this plant last year, someone tropple over it while walking the stairs and after a very rush repotting, a large amount of soil was lost through the hole beneath. Does this also lead to this poor growth?

No comments:

Post a Comment